Tuesday, January 30, 2018

A Lesson in Listening to That Little Voice in Your Head + Announcement

Two weeks ago, I debuted the cover for Binding Dante Lovelace.

And it is a fine cover, to be sure.

... But there was always this little voice in the back of my head saying, "Jenny. Does that cover REALLY represent your genre? The theme of these books? The quirky tone?"

And I just kept ignoring that voice.

Note to self: don't ignore that voice.

Finally, over the last week, I let that little voice win. In truth, I was a bit perturbed that I didn't just listen to it in the first place, but this is one of the joys of being an indie author. We have complete creative control. I make my own covers, so I just dusted off my hands and said, "Back to the drawing board!"

I'll let readers in a little secret: my day job is marketing. And so, the idea of branding and identity and brand story are always rattling around in my mind, and I asked myself: "Jenny. What is your brand identity? Do your other covers convey that? Do they convey the theme?"

I'm sure you can see where this is going.

Long story short: Dante Lovelace was not the only book to get a cover overhaul.

Presenting: the new covers of The Lovelace & Wick Series!






Yes, even "Iago Wick & the Vampire Queen" got a makeover!

I am positively in love with these covers. They capture the dark humor and horror-historical-steampunk elements all at once. Keep an eye out--the website and the blog are getting a makeover, as well.

The manuscript for Binding Dante Lovelace is about to be sent to the proofreader. We're almost there! It will still come out the spring, and I am utterly thrilled to share it with you.

Whew! That was a humdinger of a week.

Until next time!
Jenny


2 comments:

  1. I liked the original covers just fine - but these are awesome as well!

    ReplyDelete