Sunday, March 27, 2016

Welcome!

I have spent the last two years collecting vintage clothing and combing through antique stores and junk sales.

A strange way to open the inaugural post on the blog of a paranormal/horror author, right? You must be expecting a tale of some cursed object or haunted 8-track player.

Alas! No spirits!

As a result of my obsession, my living room looks like the set of Mad Men, and I’ve picked up some killer ensembles for my closet. I have an encyclopedic knowledge of mid-century fashion now, and even though my bank account has suffered for all of those treasure-hunting weekends, it’s been a wonderful adventure.

But I was unknowingly suffering due to one very important fact: I wasn’t writing.

Don’t get me wrong! I love my Mad Men living room and my 1960s tiki kitchen, and I still love collecting. But I discovered recently that these things had become a distraction.

I needed to create. Creatively I was floundering, flopping about like a fish out of water on the beach.

A fabulously-dressed fish in pumps and red lipstick, but a fish nevertheless.

It was time to get back to writing.

It may sound a little romantic, but the moment I put pen to paper again, I felt somehow content. Even as I reacquainted myself with the frustration of creative writing, I was happy for it. Let’s face it: there’s nothing more frustrating than trying to word a sentence just right or fighting to get the pacing of an action scene to just work already! But we love it. Otherwise, we wouldn’t pour blood, sweat and tears into these stories and characters.

There was never any question, as I settled back into my old habits, of what I would write. Supernatural and horror fiction still called to me as strongly as they ever did. Once a creepy kid, always a creepy kid, I suppose. Ghosts, demons, and all the other nasties that go bump in the night will always speak to me. When I was a kid, I watched The Nightmare Before Christmas daily. In my teenage years I was obsessed with real ghost stories and the paranormal. I had quite the love affair with the show Supernatural while in college. And in 2010, I independently published my first novel, a comic tale of demons and vampires.

Horror and paranormal fiction will always be such a wonderful way to explore imaginary worlds and the very nature of mankind all at once. We create monsters and ghouls because of the flaws we see in ourselves and in our fellow men, after all. We comment on the evils of the world by writing of demons and other creatures that live only to wreak havoc.

In fact, my current work-in-progress focuses on an agent of Hell who loves to do just that…

… but I’ll talk more about him later. For now, I wish to welcome you to my blog, where I will not only talk about my own creations, but the creations of others in the paranormal and horror genres. Pull up a chair, grab a glass of wine and enjoy my “creepy little corner of the web.”

(I bet no emo kid ever used that phrase on MySpace ten years ago.)

Over the coming months, I will put previously published works of mine back in print, and I have a few other tricks up my sleeve. So, keep an eye on this space and as always, thank you so much for reading!

Cheers,

Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment